Retired Chief Justice Reynato S. Puno was elected President and Chairman of the 2014-2015 Board of Trustees of the Philippine Bible Society following his re-election as a Trustee during the Bible Society’s Annual Membership Meeting last Saturday, April 26, 2014.
Others elected to the Executive Committee were:
- Bishop Noel A. Pantoja of the Conservative Baptist Association of the Philippines as Vice President and Vice Chairman,
- Miss Jessica Joy V. Candelario of the Bukal ng Tipan Center as Corporate Secretary
- Atty. Gerard A. Mosquera, Deputy Ombudsman for Luzon, and
- Atty. Jose P. Villanueva of the Shekinah Christian Unity Foundation, as members.
Fresh additions to the PBS Board are The Most Rev. Pablo Virgilio S. David, D.D., and Chairman of the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), and Bishop Joselito T. Cruz of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente, who will both serve a 3-year term.
Meanwhile, former Board member Mr. Lawrence Ty of the United Evangelical Church Manila rejoins the group after a hiatus of several years. On the other hand, Dr. Rommel Linatoc of the National Council of Churches in the Philippines, and Mrs. Leonila T. Cruz of the Friends of Jesus Christ Ministries Int’l. were re- elected for a second term. They were sworn-in by outgoing PBS President and Chairman Most Rev. Broderick S. Pabillo, D.D., the Auxiliary Bishop of Manila.
Earlier that day, more than 200 members of the Bible Society gathered at the PBS Ministry Facility in UN Avenue, Manila to celebrate and fellowship through a Worship Service before electing six Trustees to replace those whose terms were expiring.
In the same meeting, PBS General Secretary Dr. Nora G. Lucero reported the highlights of the Bible Society’s performance in the preceding year in terms of the organization’s five strategic directions: scripture engagement, pro-active marketing, friend and fundraising, systems innovation and processes improvement, and, human resources development.
In her report, Dr. Lucero acknowledged PBS’s partnerships with individuals, organizations, groups, and churches that helped the Bible Society “tear down walls, build bridges, and pave the way for the advance of God’s Word.” “These opportunities (to partner) continue to kindle the fire that drives us to fulfill our mission to engage families to proclaim and live by God’s Word,” Dr. Lucero said.
The PBS has an 18-member ecumenical board composed of representatives from the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches (five seats), the Roman Catholic Church (five seats), the National Council of Churches in the Philippines (five seats) and three from independent churches.
Currently serving as Trustees are:
- Rev. Dr. Ruth P. Billena, Deputy Conference Minister, Lowland Cavite South Manila;
- Mr. Ramon J. Dela Torre, Elder of the Kamuning Bible Christian Fellowship,
- Dr. Cristina N. Maṅabat, President, Harris Memorial College;
- Most Rev. Renato P. Mayugba, D.D., Bishop of Laoag;
- Bishop Jonel R. Milan, National Chairman, Philippine Ministerial Fellowship Network;
- Dr. Natividad B. Pagadut, Executive Secretary, ECBA-CBCP;
- Mrs. Emmaloisa M. Salumbides, National Coordinator, Peace Builders Ministry Commission on Peace and Reconciliation of Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches;
- Atty. Jose T. Tale, Executive Vice President, Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas;
- and President Emeritus, the Most Rev. Bishop Arturo M. Bastes, SVD, D.D, Bishop of Sorsogon.